Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Burlesque Marathon: Kitty Nights

Miss. Brixx and The Purrrfessor
On Sunday, I went to my very first Kitty Nights. I know, shameful right? I blame the Sunday family dinners for my lack of appearance at Kitty Nights, not a lack of interest! I actually already had Kitty Nights scribbled into my burlesque marathon calendar when the aw-inducing Burgundy Brixx contacted me and asked me to perform in a pajama party themed version of Burgundy and The Purrrfessors weekly hit show. I quickly said 'fuck family dinner' and accepted.

The venue, being The Biltmore, was perfect for a burlesque show. It's dark, intimate with a perfectly sized stage. The crowd was wonderful as well as most of them seemed to know how to act at a burlesque show (drunk and loud).

I was a bit more nervous for Kitty Nights then I usually am for a performance being that I've heard so much about it and I almost felt it was a 'right of passing' to be asked to make my debut at Kitty Nights. Overall, I felt confidence in my performances, one that was fast and bumpy to Waiting for My Ruca by Sublime and another that was slow and seductive to Toxic by Yael Naim. I did however get one piece of criticism from a man in the crowd who told me at the end of my first performance I should have shaken it harder. Shakin' it harder is never bad advice.

All performances were great, especially Burgundy and a Latin inspired performance by Candy Curves. But the thing that impressed me the most was the hosting. I must admit, I've attended some burlesque shows where unintended awkwardness was part of the hosting but The Purrrfessor and Burgundy had the right amount of confidence, humour and stage presence as hosts and my friends that attended agreed with many of them stating it's the best hosting they've seen as well. Truly, the host/ess with the most/ess.

If you haven't been out to see Kitty Nights, I encourage you to! Check them out HERE.
More on Burgundy Brixx!
Up Next: Bloody Betty's Serial Killer Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Burlesque Marathon Calendar