Thursday, September 8, 2011

Burlesque Marathon: Bloody Betty's 'Serial Killers Show'

A serialisly good poster! GET IT?!
If someone told me a year ago that I would paint myself in blood and pay to watch a half naked tribute to Aileen Wuornos I would probably respond with - 'are you on crack?!' but, that is exactly what I did last night at The Cobalt where Bloody Betty and the Deadly Sins performed gorlesque (it's exactly what it sounds like) based on infamous serial killers like Ted Bundy and local Robert Pickton.

I have seen Bloody Betty perform before and judging on the topic I knew I was going to be in for something shocking and very different then the normal fan and glove routine. I was also weary about being offended but as a patron in line told me 'If the show doesn't offend you, Bloody Betty hasn't done a good job'. Touche.

The Cobalt was a little hot and sweaty but it was a really cool venue, I thought it was going to be a down and dirty type of place but it was actually quite hip and put together. My only venue complaint is that I wanted so badly to see the performers floor work (especially since most murders are performed while the victim is lying down)but alas, being 5'4 in a room of standing people, it was difficult for me to see the entire performance. But let's talk about the actual show.

Stone Rivers aka Burgundy Brixx and The Purrrfessor did a fantastic job keeping the audience entertained in between numbers (see another post on their hosting talents HERE) and there were fun themed games thrown into the mix as well. Sherry Hymen and I, loving free shit, volunteered for a contest where she got to 'kill' me. Our competitors who consisted of another team of girls and 2 teams of guys who all decided to make out with each other and without being able to compete with guy on guy and girl on girl kiss action, we sadly lost, but it was a lot of fun.
Sherry Hymen and I, all bloodied out.

The performances themselves were quite spectacular with special effects ranging from a mock hanging to a cum exploding prosthetic penis (thanks for that Aida Manic!). The thing I loved about the show the most was the fearlessness of each performer. I admired how all the performers were females (aside from man props) who for the most part took on a male role. A very strong male role. I'd like to believe I could do this myself, but I'm really not sure - so mad props, you guys rocked it.

So, did I enjoy the show? Yes. Was I offended? Yes. Did the show do what it intended to do? I believe so.

If you are looking for a huge twist on burlesque please check out Bloody Betty and the Deadly Sins and attend a show. If you're anything like me you'll leave a bit confused, a bit shocked, and wanting more.

Up Next: Dance All Day at The Drive Dance Centre

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Burlesque Marathon Calendar